The Village of Lake George is within the Town of Lake George. The village was originally called "Caldwell", a name preserved in the Caldwell Presbyterian Church. It is located on the southern end of Lake George within the eastern edge of the Adirondack State Park. The village and the surrounding area is a famous summertime tourist region and a historic summer colony. The village is located about 50 miles north of Albany, New York and about 200 miles north of New York City and northwest of Boston, Massachusetts.
In the last quarter of the 19th Century the area began to become an important tourist destination. Railroad tracks ran onto the steam boat docks on the south end of Lake George. From there steam boats ran to the hotels further north on the lake several times a day.
The Village of Lake George was incorporated in 1903. Besides the fort with its many associations, historic points of interest include the defunct railway station and a 19th century courthouse and jail, now operated as a museum by the local historical society. The beach at one motel in the village features a plaque marking the site where the Marquis de Montcalm landed with his army preparatory to attacking the fort. A plaque at the site of the Bloody Pond massacre is a short distance south of the village along US Route 9.